The Hermitage, a National Historic Landmark, is located on 4.9 acres of lawn shaded by centuries-old trees. The site is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The fourteen-room Gothic Revival home was built in 1847-48 from designs by William H. Ranlett for Elijah Rosencrantz Jr. The house incorporates portions of a historic 18th-century house.
The Hermitage is owned by the State of New Jersey and operated by the Friends of the Hermitage, Inc. The Friends of the Hermitage, Inc., a private, nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation, was founded in 1972 to restore, maintain, and interpret the site.
We preserve The Hermitage, its stories, and its collections as an educational resource to engage and encourage people of all ages and backgrounds in the exploration and understanding of their past.